Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Just Ask

Ask, and God will give to you.  Search, and you will find.  Knock, and the door will open for you.  Yes, everyone who asks will receive.  Everyone who searches will find.
Matthew 7: 7-8

How often have you asked for something and received it?

How often have you asked for something and not received it?

Growing up, I was one of 4 kids.  A middle child, on top of that, but honestly, I never really wanted for anything.  That's not to say I got everything I asked for because believe me I didn't.  But I never went without either.  
 
When we were growing up my mom didn't work, which at that time wasn't really a big deal, there were a lot of moms who didn't work.  But it also meant that we were pretty thrifty.  We didn't go out to eat very often, we were fortunate enough that there were 2 girls and 2 boys so we were able to save on clothes because once she outgrew it then it became mine.   That didn't always seem like such a good thing when I was growing up, but now that I am a parent and have to buy the clothes I can see that it definitely was.

One particular year at Christmas I remember asking for an air hockey table.  That was all that I asked for, just the one thing.  See, my cousins had gotten one the year before and I really, really, wanted one.  I remember how my mom sat me down and told me one day that they just could not afford to get me one.  As a parent I can't imagine what that must have been like to have to tell your child that you can't give them what they want.  *Although I have had to do this but on a different level.

I guess when you first read the scripture above it may seem like whatever we ask God for, he will give it to us or do it for us, but like our parents, he knows what is best for us and what is more important.  

We may not always get the answer we want when we pray, but we need to keep praying just the same.  God has a plan we simply cannot understand.  There will be times when he gladly gives us what we need, but there may be times when we feel a little disappointed, and sometimes angry even that our prayers seem to go unanswered.  I personally think it's OK to question why, it keeps us talking to God, and that is what we need to be doing.


I may not have gotten the air hockey table, but I got something just as good, my own personal boom box!  I know, I am showing my age.  Looking back, we had no where to put a big old air hockey table anyway, and I honestly don't think my cousins kept theirs for that long either.  It also made me a little more aware that it wasn't all about me and what I wanted.  Some kids need to be made aware of this a little more often.  


I have been praying for someone on my list for what feels like years and sometimes I begin to wonder if anyone is listening.  But I know that he is, and I will keep on praying.  Praying that they will  make the changes that can turn their life around if they will just take that first step and ask.  


Just imagine, all you have to do is ask and God can change your life.  


Just ask!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment